Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I'm only posting this excerpt because I love the last two sentences.

They took the ferry across the river and back, leaning over the railings and laughing at the tourists' multi-colored beads. She found herself wishing that he would kiss her again, and she worried that she was becoming addicted to this sort of thing. What would she do when life went back to normal, which it was bound to do? God. She'd have to go another five years of the same that she'd already been through. The idea made her shudder. John must have thought she was cold because he wrapped his arms around her to protect her from the wind. Which is exactly what he'd do if he intended to break my heart, she thought sadly.
"I'm okay," she said, disentangling herself from his arms. "Thanks."
The ferry finally came to rest again at the crowded station on the New Orleans side of the river.
"That was nice," she said, "It's been a nice morning. Why don't we call it a day?"
He looked concerned. "Are you okay?"
She nodded, "I'm fine. This is just too much for me. It's overload. The Anthony thing..." she stopped and looked away. "And you can't help what you do."
She could tell by the guilty look that passed over his face that he knew what she meant.
"Augustine, look, I understand how you're feeling. It can all be too much. It's not too late to back out," he said, and she thought that she sensed a hopeful note in his voice. "Dempsy doesn't need to know what happened between you and Anthony last night."
Augustine flushed. She wondered if Dempsy would know that she'd lured Anthony onto a date, that she'd done all that she could to encourage Anthony to do the very thing that Dempsy had pleaded with her to stop. Dempsy would never believe that it was part of a conspiratorial trap to bring Anthony back to her. Even if she would, Augustine was not at liberty to discuss it. The one paper that Dutch had insisted that she sign before she left his office was a confidentiality agreement that had seemed harmless and fair at the time. She was overcome with a sense of paranoia. She suddenly felt as if she was the one in a trap.
"Look," John said, "I'm here to help you, not to hurt you. It's nice for me to finally be able to say that, and I'm especially glad that I get to say it to you. You wouldn't believe some of the women that I have to spend my time with. Please, please, for me, just finish the day. We won't call it a date. You're doing me a favor. Maybe I'm doing you a favor. Put it all out of your mind, and let's just have a good time. Okay? No Anthony. No Dempsy. No Dutch. Just a couple of people who work to hard getting some fresh air."
She felt suspicious, but he had an almost desperate look in his eyes. Augustine told herself that she was safe because she knew the score. She wasn't an innocent lamb walking into a wolf's den. She didn't let herself consider the fact that a seasoned lamb was probably more appealing to a wolf anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home