Monday, November 20, 2006

I'm throwing in the towel.

I might change my mind, but I doubt it. I just don't feel like it. The novel has taken a turn that can only end in a predictable way. If it's predictable anyway, there's no point in finishing it.

Anyway, I think the first couple of weeks served their purpose. I had several days of inspired creativity that reminded me that I can be creative and inspired if I wake up at 4 a.m. Also, I've come to that yearly recognition of the fact that if I have to choose between being a published author or sleeping until 5 a.m., I'll take the extra hour of sleep.

Seriously, I struggle with this guilt over not being an artist of some sort, having spent so many years of my early childhood drawing or writing or taking piano lessons. I don't, in my heart, believe that there is a more rewarding path; however, it's just not a realistic path for me. Not in the traditional sense. But it has made me appreciate other arts, though I'm still fighting my inner snob.

I keep thinking of Alice Walker's "In Search of Our Mother's Garden." Gardens, quilts, cozy living rooms, cupcakes, etc. were the only available art forms or expressions for many mothers for many generations. Women, especially those who had families, were not considered to be capable of creative expression, but they were. There expressions just weren't recognized as serious.

And then I was thinking about being a teacher - one of the least desirable and least affirmed career paths that a person can choose in the U.S. LOW PAY. NO RECOGNITION. ETC. It certainly requires a lot of creativity and inspiration as well as love and a multitude of other skills and virtues. Nonetheless, teachers remain the objects of ridicule and disrespect, put upon by governments officials who dictate mandates that they don't want to provide funds to support.

It occured to me, despite my learned and inherited prejudices for unadulterated art and against common creativity, that, even if I don't wake up at 4 a.m. and write a publishable novel, I'm still a pretty damned fine artist. Look at the beautiful, intelligent, sweet kid I've created out of the minimum of raw materials! Look at the kids who've written poems this year because I forced them to read Whitman and Hughes! Maybe the world just doesn't recognize common creativity because women are better at it than men. Probably.

3 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

Thanks. I may change my mind, but I'm not going to force myself. It occurred to me yesterday that what I'd really love to do is to read a few novels. I also want to create a photolog of my bus duty tree microcosm. Maybe write some less taxing and less time-consuming poems. Anyway, I'm not going to delete the novel, so if I change my mind it'll still be there. I'm just not going to make myself sick getting up at the crack of dawn to write it when I've lost interest. Sleep is too important. Ya know? I'll keep checking on your progress here, though. And Natalie's, too, wherever she is.

5:33 AM  
Blogger natalie said...

sorry I have been out of touch...
Autumn,
you are a phenomenal writer, you have such talent. If it is ion fact time to throw in the towel for now, so be it, but you will ocme back and finish this piece,
it has a life of its own.

And you are right about the things you do create.
I have struggled withthis much since moving to LA, whether it is better to have a life full of love and good warm relationships or to have the muse,
Simone is completley correst that the key is balance,
but the percentages that go into making balance work are ever-shifting.
it is the hardest button to button as my sweet Detroit brother Jack White would say....
Fain is the best accomplishment in the world, everything comes in cycles,
you will be the artist you truly are again,
don't pressure yourself unless you know you need to, you are so incredible in so many ways and you need to celebrate that!

BTW,
Where i have been:
this deadline pushed me to other creative ventures,
i have been painting like crazy, but not writing at all...

6:29 PM  
Blogger Autumn said...

I'm glad to hear from you, Natalie! Glad you're well and painting. My house, all decorated for the holidays, is my latest artistic endeavor. I'm posting on my other blog as well for now, so I haven't entirely abandoned writing. But I do want to pursue other interests, namely a grandiosely artistic life of reading good books, drinking good wine, and watching my good little boy. I agree, Simone. We could all use a little word of encouragement. Why not put it here?

12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home