Thursday, March 03, 2005

roar no more?

So I'm a little behind in this contest, I've only managed to rack up about 2,800 words in my two days of writing. Perhaps I will be able to catch up on weekends, although I am not holding myself to a strict word "goal" for each day of writing. If I get too tired, I stop; weekday evenings I need to relax after practicing and teaching throughout the day. If I can write for about an hour and a half I feel pretty good, since my intention is really to investigate a different form of creativity rather than write the novel that has been inside me all of my life. I think there has been something else inside, but I think I finally digested it last night ;-)

That being said, I think I have managed to get some kind of structure in place. There will be an alternation between the stories of two main characters: one in a Bridges of Madison County-style flashback/imaginative setting, and another engaged in a journey across Italy which will be a series of more or less autobiographical travel essays. I have various ideas for how the two characters might eventually interact, but I will let the writing dictate if they are destined to intersect in a feel-good sap fest or will have a parallel but distantly related development during the course of their stories.

For those of you amused by automotive repair anecdotes, I was unable to get my muffler replaced on Tuesday. Midas did not have the right muffler for my car in the shop, so I was told – no lie – that the mechanic in Hattiesburg would go to a "meeting place" on Wednesday to get the proper muffler from a mechanic from the Midas in Biloxi. Sounds like a bad drug deal going down! Hopefully this afternoon will finally bring an end to the earsplitting (and less funny every day) growl of my Saturn, although I have enjoyed cranking up a Frou Frou CD to drown out the noise....

OK, time to get ready to teach. Write on!

2 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

I think that the array of talent here is interesting - a computer whiz (Jack), an artist (Natalie), and a musician (Pete), just to cite a few players. The contrasts between the contents, styles, tones, etc. of the novels will be a study all to itself. Don't worry about word count...yet. If you don't meet the 50,000 by the end of the month though, be prepared for merciless ridicule.

4:20 PM  
Blogger natalie said...

i actually like the word count, it gives my compulsive greedy part something to try to "gain"

still when jeff decided to write he had a fear that is idea wasn't a novel's worth and i though that a novella would be excellent as well, i think that the whole project is just a trick anyhow, you know it is said tht if you do something everyday for a month, it becomes habbit? so they are trying to make people into 'real' writers,

as long as you write something each day you are doing your job.

as far as i am concerned, and i have learned this more since i moved to Japan, Americans are cheaters, we work around if we can we hate to go through proper channels, we like to find the best quickest most efficient way, so if you need to change the rules, you damn well should.
it is your nature.

Pete, i thought you were going to go into some "Car Talk" something i dearly miss!!
a meeting place?
Y'alls sure do do thangs diffurnt!!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home