Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Structure.

Okay. I know that I said that I was not going to write any crappy love poetry, and I intend to hold to that promise in theory. However, I started a couple of stories several years ago that didn't fit into story format - too whimsical, too fluffy and light. But I've always wanted to write these stories. So I was struck by the notion today that they might work well as a long story sort of poem. Epic in proportions if not in the same strict format.

I spent a lot of time today reading up on hexameters, spondee, arsis, and anceps, thinking that I might try to stick to a rigid epic format, just for the challenge. But then I decided that I should just write the storypoem the way that it came to me. I expect it'll still be pretty bad, so no worries there.

The story IS about soul mates, so it might SOUND romantic and icky. But as it has no context, I think that I can avoid any truly frothy drivel. Although, I suppose that wouldn't be horrible, since this is about bad poetry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home