Friday, March 04, 2005

The Quota is a Cruel Tyrant. I Hate the Quota.

Maybe I am just too neurotic to write a novel. I feel sick every time I sit down at this desk now because a NUMBER is standing over me with the sadistic grin of a professional nail-yanker. But I must be a little bit of a trailer park masochist because I don't think that I can live without the Quota. Today was the worst day yet. Everything that I wrote was TRASH. TRASH. TRASH. I told myself, "You only have to write as well as the worst writer that's ever been published." You know? That writer that you read with disgust, every new page cause for disdain, telling yourself, "I could write better than that." BUT I CAN'T! I AM THAT WRITER! Who's idea was this, anyway?!

Nonetheless, I reached the Quota. I slapped him in the face with 6672 trite and putrid words. I didn't even feel better when I was done. I'm a hack.

The Quota is a merciless dictator.

Only even remotely unhorrible line of the day:

By the time he was at Yale, I let him go bald, and I made sure that he was impotent to boot.

2 Comments:

Blogger natalie said...

the idea is that you feel free to write crap, it is a 30 day novel, you know? i like the idea of a writer choosing to torment his/her charaters, nice.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Autumn said...

That's your answer for everything, Jack, you perve.

I know. I know. I AM writing crap. I don't mind that. What's killing me is that I'm finding it difficult to even muster up 1700 words of crap.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home