Sunday, March 06, 2005

Hooting with the owls.

My eyes are bleary. It's past my bedtime. I got a late start today - about 8:30 pm. I just finished at 10:14 with a total of 10,015 words. Still on track. Tonight's session wasn't the worst. I wasn't quite as anxious as I have been. I realized today that I should look at each session as writing a scene for the novel, rather than as writing the novel. A scene is less daunting. And six to seven pages is just about the right length for a long scene or a couple of short ones. I can prepare for scenes before I sit at the computer. I took a little time to think about the story before I started working, instead of free-falling. I thought about what I could do to move the plot forward with less blech. I contemplated car chases, fires, cat fights. I decided to throw in a couple, but I won't say which. I am too tired to try to make sense.

Line of the day:

The whole place had a kitsch air that didn’t exactly match my mood, but I found it incomparably more comforting than I would have found a dark dive filled with sad Mexicans.

2 Comments:

Blogger natalie said...

i think this is a brilliant way of looking at it, not because it is easier, but because fragmenting makes the chore digestable, i remember when i was a kid, my dad would cook stuffed peppers and he would make us eat the slimy pepper outside, i'd cut the thing up into pill-sized bites and swallow them with milk so i wouldn't have to taste them, when i think about drinking that much milk now it makes me want to throw up, but that is beside the point. slice and swallow.
plus the pre-thinking is brilliant, because you can think anywhere, little scenes passing before your eyes like mini-movies, it works as long as you are not bathing fain or driving.

1:47 AM  
Blogger natalie said...

that is not a bad thing, but you have to liberate your(self/character) you know, live out the fantasy, go postal on paper... i think that we all realate to the feelings you describe, i was a hollow zombie for half of my time in New Orleans, it is a mean city, it is greedy, it sucks and sucks, i think that that is part of the reason for the vampyre fascination, people feel the vampirism of the soul all the time, they want to put it into words, figure it out, make it fiction,
that city is a hungry demon, it will depleat you as much as it can and then discard you, and you know the look of the discarded, you have seen them all around you
anyhow i think it is a worthwhile subject, but it has to be paired with a liberation of sorts cause people don't really want to have thier own miserable lives in front of them..

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home