Tuesday, March 15, 2005

À bas belles lettres

Well, kids, I'm back in the game. Boo-ya! That's right. I caught up to my 1667 word a day quota just minutes ago with a word to spare at 25,006. Ta-dow! Woo-hoo! Ka-ching! I can't think of any more exclamations off the top of my head. I' m sure that you catch my drift.

I am finally beginning to enjoy doing the writing. Tonight, my heroine Bronte Sparks went on a date and got a kiss laid on her, and I was exhilirated! It was an incredible moment. The writing itself is not the top of my game. My descriptions are minimal. My dialog is not what it should be. But I'm getting a feel for the story that I've never managed to get before now. The writing is more visceral, less neurotic, more enjoyable to do. I feel more like I'm reading or acting or living.

I've been thinking a lot about Natalie's entry regarding the loss of crafting during this experiment. I have to say, and I never thought I would, that I enjoy this exercise in imperfecting, this mad-cappery. I love crafting. I love creating beautiful images with well-placed words. But this Pollack style slapping words onto canvas to create something - ANYTHING - is great, too. Ask me again in a week.

Anyway, Bronte is still in Molly's parents' house over the paint shop in upstate New York. I hope that she isn't in the way. Her parents' have been replaced by another couple who are shielding her from the mysterious order that is threatening her. Molly assured me that her mother was on vacation, so maybe her dad didn't mind the company. I was a bit surprised to find the tone become more serious over the past few days. Thus far, she has been completely clueless regarding the real danger that she is in, and so she has been frivolous and somewhat shallow. I don't mean to say that she is not developed as a character but that she has been thinking in shallow terms. More recently, she has been confronted by several undeniable facts about the perilous state of the world and her precarious place in it, and she has reacted with awe and fear, which has set this different tone. However, I hope to have her back on track with her flippant disregard for everything pretty soon.

Line of the day - this one's for you, Molly.

A Cheshire moon beamed down at us, a dopey grin of a moon.

2 Comments:

Blogger natalie said...

it does make it easier to do it quickly. only the deadline will tell whether it makes it better.
i guess the fact that there are stories where once there were none is good nomatter what the quality?
editing can fix anything, like plastic surgery.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Autumn said...

Exactly. I love editing almost more than writing. It's like growing a tree versus pruning it. Growing it can be kind of tedious and slow-moving, but taking shears to those branches is satisying in its brutality and tangibility.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home